If you’re looking for a simpler, less invasive way to straighten your teeth when compared to braces, you might want to consider Invisalign.
Anderson Family Dental Care is proud to be a certified Invisalign provider here in Anderson.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a type of orthodontic treatment that uses clear, custom-made aligners to straighten teeth.
Unlike traditional metal braces, which use brackets and wires to correct misaligned teeth, Invisalign aligners are made of clear plastic and are designed to fit over the teeth like a mouth guard.
They are virtually invisible, so most people won’t even know you’re wearing them.
How long do results with Invisalign typically take? The length of time it takes to see results with Invisalign treatment can vary depending on a number of factors, including the severity of the misalignment and the individual’s commitment to wearing the aligners as prescribed by us.
On average, though, most people can expect to see significant improvements in the alignment of their teeth within 6 to 18 months of starting treatment.
How does Invisalign compare to braces?
Whether Invisalign or traditional braces are better for a particular person depends on a number of factors, including the severity of their misalignment and their personal preferences. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, so they are a good option for people who are self-conscious about wearing braces.
They are also removable, so you can take them out to eat and brush your teeth, which some people find more convenient than having to avoid certain foods and carefully clean around brackets and wires.
However, Invisalign may not be as effective for very complex orthodontic cases, and the aligners must be worn for at least 22 hours per day in order to work properly.
By comparison, traditional braces are generally more visible but can be more effective for more severe misalignments, and they do not need to be removed for eating or cleaning.
Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences, so it’s important to talk to Dr. Hollingsworth to determine the right course of treatment.
What is the process to get Invisalign?
The process of getting Invisalign aligners fitted typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: The first step is to schedule a consultation with us so we can provide you with a certified Invisalign treatment. During the consultation, we will examine your teeth and discuss your treatment goals with you. We will also take impressions, X-rays, and photos of your teeth to create a digital treatment plan.
- Treatment plan: Once we have assessed your teeth and discussed your treatment goals with you, we will create a customized treatment plan that outlines the specific movements your teeth will need to make in order to achieve the desired alignment. This plan will be used to create your Invisalign aligners.
- Fabrication of aligners: Using the digital treatment plan, we will send your information to a specialized laboratory, where your aligners will be custom-made based on the movements outlined in your treatment plan. This typically takes about two weeks.
- Fitting and adjustments: When your aligners are ready, we will give you the first set and make any necessary adjustments to ensure a proper fit. We will also provide instructions on how to care for and wear the aligners, as well as how often to switch to the next set of aligners in the series.
- Regular check-ins: Throughout your treatment, you will need to visit us periodically for check-ins and adjustments. These visits typically occur every 4 to 6 weeks, and they allow us to monitor your progress and make any necessary changes to your treatment plan.
Overall, the process of getting Invisalign aligners fitted typically takes several weeks from start to finish, and it involves several visits.
How do you clean Invisalign aligners?
To clean your Invisalign aligners, follow these steps:
- Rinse your aligners with lukewarm water. This will help to remove any food particles or debris that may be stuck to them.
- Brush your aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a non-abrasive toothpaste. Be sure to brush all surfaces of the aligners, including the inner and outer surfaces and any crevices.
- Rinse your aligners again with lukewarm water. This will help to remove any toothpaste residue.
- Dry your aligners with a clean, lint-free cloth. Avoid using paper towels, as they can leave fibers on the aligners.
It’s important to clean your aligners every day to prevent the buildup of bacteria and plaque.
Be sure to brush and floss your teeth before putting the aligners back in. It’s also a good idea to avoid eating or drinking anything other than water while wearing the aligners, as this can help to prevent staining and discoloration.
What if they get lost or damaged?
If you lose or damage an Invisalign aligner, it can be replaced. You should contact us as soon as possible to let us know you have lost an aligner.
We may be able to provide you with a replacement aligner or give you instructions on how to proceed.
In some cases, losing an aligner, even for a short duration of time, can affect your treatment plan, so it’s important to talk to us right away. Keep in mind, replacing a lost aligner may incur additional fees.